EU–China cooperation to stop illegal logging
The EU and China work together to combat illegal logging and associated trade globally through the Bilateral Coordination Mechanism (BCM) on Forest Law Enforcement and Governance.
Current activities include:
- Supporting the setting up of new legislation in China on promotion of legally-sourced timber and timber products
- Further developing trilateral cooperation between China, Indonesia and the EU on promoting trade of legally-sourced timber and timber products
- Providing information about timber legality developments in China to international stakeholders, and information to Chinese stakeholders about international markets
- Creating synergies and strengthening the cooperation between China and VPA countries in Asia and Africa on forest governance
For more information on the BCM, how it works, and its current and former activities, read: About the EU-China Bilateral Coordination Mechanism on Forest Law Enforcement and Governance.
- South-east Asian countries share progress to tackle illegal logging and its associated trade 20.01.2020
- Analysis of China’s trade with the EU and VPA countries 2007-2017 13.12.2019
- Responsible trade in tropical timber: exporting and importing countries explain the actions they are taking 21.06.2019
- South-east Asian countries share progress on timber legality 06.08.2018
- EU, China and Africa explore ways to work together in their forestry cooperation 20.04.2018